Government Hearings - 2009
House Hearing, 111th Congress - CAPITAL MARKETS REGULATORY REFORM: STRENGTHENING INVESTOR PROTECTION, ENHANCING OVERSIGHT OF PRIVATE POOLS OF CAPITAL, AND CREATING A NATIONAL INSURANCE OFFICE
October 6, 2009 Committee and Subcommittee Committee on Financial Services
2009 - MODERNIZING THE AMERICAN FINANCIAL REGULATORY SYSTEM
- 2009 1029 - Financial Industry Regulations, Federal Regulators - VIDEO
- 2009 1029 - Financial Industry Regulations, Business Interests - VIDEO
- Systemic risk - SIFI-
- 23:00 - MetLIfe - Activities based risk vs Size Risk. Example LTCM was not large <Bonk: Executive Life>,
- 2009 1029 - Secretary Geithner on Financial Industry Regulations - VIDEO
- 2009 - GOV - EXECUTIVE COMPENSATION: HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH?
- William K. Black
- 2009 0305 - GOV
- Federal Aid to AIG Insurance, CEO Testimony
- PDF - 380p - AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL GROUP'S IMPACT ON THE GLOBAL ECONOMY: BEFORE, DURING, AND AFTER FEDERAL INTERVENTION
- Edward Libby testified about operations and business practices at American International Group (AIG) before, during, and after federal intervention.
- 2:15:28 - Carolyn Maloney: bad regulatory decision?
- - Liddy: yes
- AIG Collapse and Rescue, Liddy Testimony - VIDEO
- 2:40 - Carolyn Maloney: problem with life insurance? Federal Reserve Funds used for AIG Life Insurance Division?
- Liddy: Yes, Regulated and Solvent, Created a hole. Plugged the Hole with Federal Reserve Funds. 18-20 Billion
- 2009 0924 - Systemic Risk and Resolution Issues / EXPERTS’ PERSPECTIVES ON SYSTEMIC RISK AND RESOLUTION ISSUES - VIDEO, PDF - 128p
- Paul Volcker - ".....insurance companies, which I would say parenthetically I hope better regulatory systems will be developed, maybe not as part of this legislation but next year." (p7)
- Paul Volcker - "I would hope this committee
would look at the question of national charters for insurance companies and bring them under—at least the big ones—under a framework so that something like AIG with similar problems can’t arise in the future." (p19)
- Mr. PERLMUTTER. How do we resolve insurance companies? Do you know? We liquidate them through the insurance commissioner. (p49)
- Government Intervention and Regulation of AIG
- Securities Lending, RMBS, Liqudity, <C-3, 1980 SOA Paper>, Run on AIG,
- Scott Polakoff - OTC
- 33:00 - Eric Dinallo - NAIC
- Securities Lending didn't have anything/much to do with AIG Collapse.
- 2009/03/18 - Federal Aid to AIG Insurance, Regulators Panel
- OTS, Joel Ario (Insurance Commissioner), S&P Ratings Org
- 2009/03/18 - Federal Aid to AIG Insurance, CEO Testimony (Liddy)
- all life insurance companies would have been in trouble... asset prices....capital markets
- 2009 0402 - GOV - THE COLLAPSE AND FEDERAL RESCUE OF AIG AND WHAT IT MEANS FOR THE U.S.
- [PDF-87, VIDEO
- 2009/05/14 - How Should the Federal Government Oversee Insurance?
- VIDEO - (Part 1 of 2)
- Melissa Bean
- 25:30 - Jeb Hensarling (R-Texas) - OTS said they had the power, the resources etc... they just missed it.
How Should the Federal Government Oversee Insurance? (Part 2 of 2)
- Baird Webel, J. Robert Hunter,
- 3:30 - Baird Webel - What is Systemic Risk? So is an Asteroid a financial Risk? What does a Systemic Risk Regulator have to do about this? <Bonk: Atomic Bomb 1950's Newspaper Article>. Who would represent the Insurance Industry on a systemic risk panel?
2009-05-14 - Capital Markets and Government Sponsored Enterprises Subcommittee. - How Should the Federal Government Oversee Insurance? (Part 2 of 2)
- Insurance and Systemic Risk - C-SPAN
- approx. 21:00 - Melissa Bean - AIG's Problems weren't just in the Financial Products area, also was in the Securities Lending Department, Activities, products,
- approx. 29:00 - European Union - Peter Skinner
- 1:26 - Patrick Baird (ACLI)
- 1:27 - Michael Mcraith (NAIC)
- 1:27:30 - Michael Capuano (D-MA)