- I found it interesting that a number of small stock companies are using somewhat low-grade investments to determine their future investment yield.
- I wonder whether this is a trend, and whether they take the default risk into consideration.
-- Charles Picard
1985 - SOA - Actuarial Pricing Assumptions in a Volatile Environment, Society of Actuaries - 32p
- Another area of concern relating to solvency is investments by insurers.
- Recently, some states have expressed concern over investment by life insurance companies in high yield / high risk obligations, referred to as "junk bonds."
-- John Washburn, Director of Insurance for the State of Illinois and Vice President of the NAIC
1987 0701 and 0729 and 1014 - GOV (House) - Developments In State Insurance Regulation - [PDF-511p-GooglePlay
Let me share a very personal experience.
- Two years ago, I had occasion to address a group of insurance salesmen, and I had become somewhat concerned about the higher risks assumed by insurance companies, particularly longer-term interest rate guarantees covered by junk bonds.
- I made the mistake or maybe the courageous statement that some insurance companies, if they continue, are likely to get themselves into trouble.
- I named a number of insurance companies, among them Executive Life and Presidential Life and others, as owners of a high percentage of junk bonds.
- After my presentation, I was deluged with objections by salespeople. How dare you undermine the image of our industry!
- The next morning I got a call from the president of one of the large insurance companies calling me to task, asking me to come in because he wanted to persuade me that all was well.
-- Dr. William Freund - Chief Economist Emeritus, New York Stock Exchange
1991 - SOA - Major Issues Facing the Economy, The Insurance Industry and Actuaries in the Years Ahead - 12p
- 1991 0717 and 0724 - GOV (House) - Life Insurance Solvency Issues, (CSPAN) - Insurance Insolvencies, (NAIC) - The Impact of Junk Bonds, Real Estate and Mortgages on the Life Insurance Industry
- [PDF-217p-GooglePlay, <VIDEO-?-0717> 0724-VIDEO-CSPAN]